Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Epistle - 4.21.10

Good Wednesday Everyone!

Life is good in beautiful DC.

Today was our Zone Activity, so about 30 of us went to play Ultimate Frisbee in the rain down on the National Mall. Really fun. I love playing in the rain because you don't get too hot running around.

I got asked by one of the District Leaders in the zone to give a workshop at his District Meeting about Personal Revelation. All 4 companionships in his District are training, and he wanted my companion and I to train the district on how they can receive revelation in planning and missionary work.

We decided that my companion would share personal experiences about revelation in his mission and I would discuss the doctrine of personal revelation. What it is.

In a true lesson to ME about personal revelation, I spent the entire week before pondering what I should teach. I prayed to know what I should teach. I read talks and scriptures about it trying to find what the Lord would have me say. Normally I get my workshops VERY prepared, so I know exactly what I'm going to talk about and present, but in the entire week of study, pondering, and prayer, nothing came! Finally the morning of as I sat staring at a blank piece of paper, I felt impressed to flip open to the Doctrine and Covenants. I began flipping through and just happened across a couple revelation scriptures I had marked. I wrote down the references, and with that in hand headed off to the meeting, still completely unsure about what I would say, and with a continuing prayer in my heart.

Just as the meeting began I felt impressed to flip open to St John 17,

"11 And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are."

I stood up and read that verse, and began my workshop.

I drew put the names of the Godhead on the board, and asked, "In what way are these 3 one?" They answered, In Purpose. I asked, "From whence does the purpose of the godhead originate, where does it come from?"

After some discussion they came to the conclusion, the Father. I answered that indeed it was the will of the Father that the purpose of The Godhead comes from, and that personal revelation is how we come to know his will, and have the same purpose, thereby becoming one, as they are one.

I enjoyed it, and learned as I continued to teach. It was very fun.

I'm out of time, but I love you all!

-Elder Ted E. Bear

No comments: